The CNBH is working to amass in one online location references to collections and books that can help researchers find archival resources and books related to their work. Once we have completed the first step, which is the actual locating and noting the different materials, we will be creating a searchable database that will be available to anyone interested in learning more about Ottawa’s business history.
Included in our database will be the following:
- over 300 books in the Carleton library and the Ottawa Public Library, particularly the Ottawa Room,
- over 200 archival fonds from institutions around the Ottawa area,
- over 100 industrial classification codes from the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS),
- businesses that range in physical location across the Ottawa area, from Orleans and Gloucester to Kanata and Arnprior;
- archival resources that range from the 1840s to 1990s;
- a short description of the resource including relevant information such as archival restrictions.
While our database has not be designed yet, we anticipate that users will be able to search by business name, the names of individual business people, NAICS number, and date.